- Thanks @JoCoWash I have neglected this twitter account. Find me please at @gwdcal . I appreciate the shout out! twitter.com/JoCoWash/statu… 2 months ago
- @FoxNews Those who represent this mentality, including the left handed media, are the reason democrats are not taken seriously anymore. 2 months ago
- A Minute with the Mayor: Greenwoodian attempts World Record for Burpees | Greenwood Calendar wp.me/pcPTE-Nb 2 years ago
- Singer-song writer Walter Salas-Humara to play Sundance greenwoodcalendar.com/event/singer-s… via @gwdcal 3 years ago
- This is Honeybone greenwoodcalendar.com/this-is-honeyb… 3 years ago
Grammar GroupJoin the Gang!
- Effective Practices For Getting Readers To Return To Your Blog
- A Minute with the Mayor: Greenwoodian attempts World Record for Burpees | Greenwood Calendar
- Zombie’s Out and About in Greenwood
- Media: Big Business or Fourth Estate
- Enjoy popcorn without all that hassle
- Gravity? BUSTED!
- Blogging: Keep ’em coming back for more!
- Dr. Rob Retro Show – Special Edition
- Rob’s Selected Silly Stuff
- When the children cry let them know we tried
- Court takes “Supreme” too literally
- Wok this way
- Do something nice for yourself today
- I’m Ba-ack
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
April 2017 S M T W T F S « Nov 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Greetings bloggers, surfers, and everyone else.
As you may remember, almost exactly one year ago, I put this, my wordpress.com blog on hold and started a new blog at http://www.robsmegaphone.com.
Well when my first year ended just a few days ago, fees on my new url rose – considerably. So. . . . I’m back in the land of the free.
I wasn’t able to get my posts from the robsmegaphone.com blog to import into this one, so if you’re interested, feel free to check them out before they’re toast.
If your new to Rob’s Megaphone, welcome. Feel free to explore my categories to the left, to see my previous posts.
All the best.
Give ’em something to talk about!
Dr. Jerry D. Wilson
Emeritus Professor of Physics
Trivia time. You gotta keep your trivia knowledge sharp.
* Four states do not allow billboards: Maine, Vermont, Alaska and Hawaii.
*Denmark has the highest income tax rates. Tax rates based on income run from 42 percent to 68 percent.
* Babe Ruth hit the first home run in Yankee Stadium in 1923.
* The steeplechase, a form of horse racing involving jumping fences and ditches, is so called because originally the race went from church steeple to church steeple, hence a steeplechase.
* The Canary Islands is not named after the canary (the bird), but after a breed of large dogs. The Latin name is “Canariae Insulae,” meaning “Islands of the Dogs.”
* The Tootsie Roll, introduced in 1896 by Leo Hirshfield of New York, was named after his daughter, nicknamed “Tootsie.”
* Aluminum foil began replacing tin foil in 1910. Some people still refer to aluminum foil as tin foil and use it to make tin foil hats. (Tin foil hats are supposed to shield the brain from electromagnetic fields and mind control. I know a couple of people who wear them.)
* Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.
* Cow’s milk contains 3-4 percent fat and butter 80 percent fat. Therefore, it takes about 21 pounds of milk to make a pound of butter. (Milk, like water, has a weight of about 8 pounds per gallon, so 21 pounds is 2.5 gallon.)
* The vice president’s residence in Washington, D.C., is located on the grounds of the U.S. Naval Observatory. Historically, the VPs and their families lived in their own residences. But with the increasing cost of these Washington, D.C., residences, in 1974 Congress agreed to refurbish the house at the Naval Observatory as a home for the VP. Vice President Gerald Ford acceded to the presidency before he could use it, and his VP, Nelson Rockefeller, used it only for entertaining. Walter Mondale was the first VP to move in, followed by George Bush, Dan Quayle, Al Gore, Dick Chaney and currently, Joe Biden.
C.P.S. (Curious Postscript): On quiz shows, some female contestants say “I have the best husband in the whole world.” How do they know? Have they tried them all? ~Anon.
A hauntingly beautiful voice is what I discovered the other day in Canadian singer songwriter Marcomé (pronounced Mar-ko-may) . Life’s hectic pace has met its match in the ambient, ethereal world of Marcomé’s music. Prepare yourself for an unexpected experience into a dreamy, magical journey. Marcomé will take you on a musical ride out of this world
Gifted with a pure voice, she blends lyrics with a unique wordless language that brings us in an atmospheric universe. Marcomé carefully fuses different world music influences with jazz style and classical vocals creating a new world music genre. Marcomé produces, arranges and engineers her musical work. She is a keyboardist, programmer and sound engineer as well as a proficient percussionist.
After completing her post-graduate studies in commerce and communications, Marcomé worked in theatre, in both music composition and sound creation. She then moved into the music industry. Her impressive professional experience and background as a quality sound and mastering engineer, has allowed her to collaborate with renowned artists and producers. This is the source of both her musical inspiration and artistic sense. Her industry collaborations include work with such artists as Diana Krall, Cecilia Bartoli, Le Cirque du Soleil, Branford Marsalis, Sir George Martin, Tom Waits, Daniel Lanois, Pat Metheny and Yes. MORE
Follow Marcome on Twitter
There’s thunder rumbling – get ready for the Lightning
Pierce Brosnan and Uma Thurman have signed on for the Percy Jackson movie adaptation…which is being directed by Chris Columbus, who directed the first two Potter pictures. Brosnan will play Zeus and Thurman will play Medusa in the screen adaptation of Rick Riordan’s first Percy Jackson novel, The Lightning Thief. Riordan’s series now stands at five mythical tales of suspense with the latest due out in May.
Logan Lerman will play Percy, the half-human half-god son of Zeus. The tale begins as Percy embarks on a quest to prevent war between the gods of Mount Olympus.
Together Columbus and Craig Titley, close friend of my pal, Paul (Paul’s World Of Funky Stuff) Crutcher, adapted Riordan’s screenplay; the premise of which is pure and fresh and the plot is pure adrenaline.
If you’ve got kids in middle school or high school, they already know Percy. Soon after the Lightning strikes, everyone will know Percy Jackson, destined, with a little help from the gods, to be the next Potter.
Theatrical Release: February 12, 2010
Starring: view full cast
Directed by: Chris Columbus
Distributor: 20th Century Fox
Here are some street signs with a little something extra
Silly Signs #50: street sign language slang