This punctuation mark is not yet standard, and probably never will be. It was invented in 1962 through the actions of Martin Speckter, head of a New York advertising agency. He felt that advertising people needed a mark that combined a question with a shout, that mixture any parent produces at stressful moments: “You did WHAT?!”. His idea was to provide a marker for the rhetorical questions so much favoured by advertising copywriters. He asked readers of his magazine Type Talks to suggest a name for the character, and chose interrobang from among the resulting entries. It combined interrogation, for the question mark, with bang, an old printer’s term for the exclamation mark, a usage since taken over into computing (along with pling and shriek from other sources). Alas, though interrobang received some attention at first, it has never caught on, though for a brief period in the 1960s it was added to a few typewriter keyboards. However, it is not dead: its name appears in a couple of American dictionaries, it is in one Windows symbol font I know of, and it is also in the Unicode character set
- Thanks @JoCoWash I have neglected this twitter account. Find me please at @gwdcal . I appreciate the shout out! twitter.com/JoCoWash/statu… 11 months ago
- @FoxNews Those who represent this mentality, including the left handed media, are the reason democrats are not taken seriously anymore. 11 months ago
- A Minute with the Mayor: Greenwoodian attempts World Record for Burpees | Greenwood Calendar wp.me/pcPTE-Nb 3 years ago
- Singer-song writer Walter Salas-Humara to play Sundance greenwoodcalendar.com/event/singer-s… via @gwdcal 3 years ago
- This is Honeybone greenwoodcalendar.com/this-is-honeyb… 3 years ago
Grammar GroupJoin the Gang!
- Effective Practices For Getting Readers To Return To Your Blog
- A Minute with the Mayor: Greenwoodian attempts World Record for Burpees | Greenwood Calendar
- Zombie’s Out and About in Greenwood
- Media: Big Business or Fourth Estate
- Enjoy popcorn without all that hassle
- Gravity? BUSTED!
- Blogging: Keep ’em coming back for more!
- (no title)
- Dr. Rob Retro Show – Special Edition
- Rob’s Selected Silly Stuff
- When the children cry let them know we tried
- Court takes “Supreme” too literally
- Wok this way
- Do something nice for yourself today
- I’m Ba-ack
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.