- *grammar posts (37)
- *Silly stuff (signs, news, pics) (164)
- *writing (36)
- Amazing (8)
- Fun stuff (153)
- Greenwood SC (1)
- Interesting stuff (63)
- Life (101)
- Media (5)
- music (23)
- news/media blogs (3)
- quizzes/polls (5)
- Thoughts (80)
- RT @gwdcal: Greenwood County Sees Dramatic Growth in Economic Investments greenwoodcalendar.com/greenwood-coun… 11 months ago
- RT @gwdcal: Countybank’s Jimmy Fowler Promoted to Anderson Market Executive greenwoodcalendar.com/countybanks-ji… 11 months ago
- RT @gwdcal: Leaders of the Lakelands: Eric Delgado Named City Administrator in Laurens greenwoodcalendar.com/leaders-of-the… 11 months ago
- RT @gwdcal: Sled Dawg Brewery Coming Soon to Greenwood youtube.com/watch?v=LGNLQF… greenwoodcalendar.com/sled-dawg-brew… 11 months ago
- RT @gwdcal: Emerald Ink and Stiches and Axe Throwing Coming Soon to Uptown Greenwood youtube.com/watch?v=M5nY5_… greenwoodcalendar.com/eis-and-axe/ 11 months ago
- *Paul’s Funky Stuff
- – The Curious Life . . .
- Amy Oops
- Fun & Useless Trivia
- Funny offbeat news
- Left-Handed Complement
- Me, myself, and JC
- My Happiness Haven
- Outside my brain again
- Pounding heart
- Random Ramblings
- Rob\’s Megaphone
- Shadow’s far-out corner
- Sleeping Kitten – Dancing Dog
- Smiling with daisy
- The Best 80s Music
- The Swell Guy
- Write and Picture this
Rob's deep links post
Rob's Writing posts
Grammar GroupJoin the Gang!
- Effective Practices For Getting Readers To Return To Your Blog
- A Minute with the Mayor: Greenwoodian attempts World Record for Burpees | Greenwood Calendar
- Zombie’s Out and About in Greenwood
- Media: Big Business or Fourth Estate
- Enjoy popcorn without all that hassle
- Gravity? BUSTED!
- Blogging: Keep ’em coming back for more!
- (no title)
- Dr. Rob Retro Show – Special Edition
- Rob’s Selected Silly Stuff
- When the children cry let them know we tried
- Court takes “Supreme” too literally
- Wok this way
- Do something nice for yourself today
- I’m Ba-ack
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
For improved writing, think visually
This entry was posted in *writing and tagged concrete details, ladder of abstaction, vague terms, writing well. Bookmark the permalink.
thanks 🙂 this is really helpful 🙂 but now you have me deleting sentences I try to write here 😀
I’m so glad it was helpful. Don’t delete too much. I love your comments. 🙂
That’s the clearest explanation for “show, don’t tell” I have ‘seen’. Had to go make myself a sandwich by the time I finished reading what was in your lunch, though! ;-))
Excellent work on your blog, Robert, and I will visit as time allows. Will be sure to tell others, as well.
Thank you for the invite!
Ha, ha!! ‘make myself a sandwich’. . .you think the casual environment of e-mails and blogging will ruin me completely? To boot, I’m a southerner who has to remember some expressions are not universal.
Pingback: Requiem: A Spiderforest Webcomic by James Roden. Updates Mon-Fri » Archive » Been following this lately….
Pingback: woof woof! woof woof! writers offering our finest « So many books, so little time
Writing visually is hugely important.
Are there any good ‘How To’ books giving plenty of examples?
Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!