- *grammar posts (37)
- *Silly stuff (signs, news, pics) (164)
- *writing (36)
- Amazing (8)
- Fun stuff (153)
- Greenwood SC (1)
- Interesting stuff (63)
- Life (101)
- Media (5)
- music (23)
- news/media blogs (3)
- quizzes/polls (5)
- Thoughts (80)
- RT @gwdcal: Greenwood County Sees Dramatic Growth in Economic Investments greenwoodcalendar.com/greenwood-coun… 11 months ago
- RT @gwdcal: Countybank’s Jimmy Fowler Promoted to Anderson Market Executive greenwoodcalendar.com/countybanks-ji… 11 months ago
- RT @gwdcal: Leaders of the Lakelands: Eric Delgado Named City Administrator in Laurens greenwoodcalendar.com/leaders-of-the… 11 months ago
- RT @gwdcal: Sled Dawg Brewery Coming Soon to Greenwood youtube.com/watch?v=LGNLQF… greenwoodcalendar.com/sled-dawg-brew… 11 months ago
- RT @gwdcal: Emerald Ink and Stiches and Axe Throwing Coming Soon to Uptown Greenwood youtube.com/watch?v=M5nY5_… greenwoodcalendar.com/eis-and-axe/ 11 months ago
- *Paul’s Funky Stuff
- – The Curious Life . . .
- Amy Oops
- Fun & Useless Trivia
- Funny offbeat news
- Left-Handed Complement
- Me, myself, and JC
- My Happiness Haven
- Outside my brain again
- Pounding heart
- Random Ramblings
- Rob\’s Megaphone
- Shadow’s far-out corner
- Sleeping Kitten – Dancing Dog
- Smiling with daisy
- The Best 80s Music
- The Swell Guy
- Write and Picture this
Rob's deep links post
Rob's Writing posts
Grammar GroupJoin the Gang!
- Effective Practices For Getting Readers To Return To Your Blog
- A Minute with the Mayor: Greenwoodian attempts World Record for Burpees | Greenwood Calendar
- Zombie’s Out and About in Greenwood
- Media: Big Business or Fourth Estate
- Enjoy popcorn without all that hassle
- Gravity? BUSTED!
- Blogging: Keep ’em coming back for more!
- (no title)
- Dr. Rob Retro Show – Special Edition
- Rob’s Selected Silly Stuff
- When the children cry let them know we tried
- Court takes “Supreme” too literally
- Wok this way
- Do something nice for yourself today
- I’m Ba-ack
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Writing is like baking a cake
Posted on March 30, 2008 by robertstevenson
It’s again me 🙂
Thanks for your letter 🙂
Mr.Research – it’s my mistake) I’ve already changed that on Digg, but username remains the same. Sure, I’m miss Research 🙂
Again, hugs and kisses, – from Miss Research.
Had to love how you baked a cake of writing!!! I’ll certainly add your blog to my feed so that I can keep up with it!
Hmmmm…. Interesting way of looking at it!
Mmmm, you’re making me hungry! Great analogy, though.
Do you really gather your ingredients in advance? That intrigues me, although it doesn’t surprise me–one of the most common themes on my writing blog is that we all have different things that work for us and shouldn’t ever buy into the “one right way” philosophy.
Personally, though, I don’t consciously work those things in. Sometimes they pop their heads up in relevant places and I weave them in, but I don’t start out with specifics that I want to “add to the mix”.
Sure, I go out and gather ingredients. After all, I’m an historian. But how do I know which ingredients are relevant and how do I know what story to make out of them? For me writing is a form of thinking. With each attempt at putting words on the page I get a little closer to understanding what it is I’m actually doing. With every printout and editing session with a real pen I get a little closer too. I need to get the stuff down to understand what I’m working with.
Hmmm. Maybe it’s a little like the way I make soup, except I can’t revise soup, only eat whatever the ingredients and cooking result in. (I make soup without a recipe. If it’s in the fridge and it’s a vegetable, there is a high probability that it’s going into the pot.)
no wonder nothing’s popping in my head. I barely have any ingredient, let alone good ones! Your advice couldn’t have come at a better time. The muse will be coming along any minute now 🙂